Saint's Alp Teahouse

Minced Pork and Rice Vermicelli
Today, actually like 5 minutes ago, I learned the beauty of Leftovers.

Yesterday, we went to Saint's Alp Teahouse for a really quick no-nonsense and affordable dinner.  I always get the shredded chicken udon noodle soup, but I was really in the mood for something else.  I figured I would get the curry chicken rice because I love curry and I love chicken and I love curry chicken.

Our food came insanely fast.  It made me slightly suspicious, but maybe these dishes are so popular that the kitchen is just crankin' them out all the time.  Whatever.


At first bite, my curry chicken rice was stab-me-in-the-throat spicy.  In fact, I could even see that it would be spicy: the orange sauce was speckled with red spicy flakes.  I thought it would be more mild like a typical Indian curry chicken, but it tasted different: perhaps this was Saint Alp's Southeast Asian curry style.  The chicken  bits were really succulent, but it was a little overpowering and I had to grab my glass of water every couple of bites.  There were a couple of stalks of bok choy in the bowl and I was desperately chomping on my veggies to dull the burn.

Curry Chicken with Rice
The bowl was enormous and I kind of needed to not singe off all my taste buds, so I doggy-bagged about half for later.  Which I then put in my little Ikea tupperware and brought to work.  I microwaved it for about 1:30 and the container was so piping hot I thought it would melt, which is not typical.  Anyway.

I dug my little dinky plastic fork in and WHOA it was really good!  Like, way better than fresh.  Weird, innit?? I mean, it was more moist, probably post-condensation in my fridge and reheating, but the spicy edge was eased.  I'm serious, it was really really good.  If I had known it would be like this, I would have doggy-bagged my entire dinner last night for lunch today.

Or, maybe I was just really really hungry so anything would have tasted really really good...

Saint's Alp Teahouse
39 3rd Avenue

Comments