Bouchon Bakery

French Pastries!
Sorry for the lack of foodventures lately.  It's finals season and we are undergraduates, after all.  And although I haven't even taken my finals yet, I'm sitting at my work study job doing nothing so I might as well write about one of the most delicious macarons I've had yet. Naturally.

Last week, we took a little trip uptown to Rockefeller Center to see one lovely and enormous Christmas tree.  We were delighted to also be in the vicinity of a bakery famous in macaron circles, Bouchon Bakery.  We tried coming here once in the summer, but they close at 7pm so we missed out on macaronage that time.  No worries, Bouchon Bakery was buzzing and bustling this time!

We waited on a sluggish line and eventually ordered one large peppermint macaron for $3.25.  That figure kind of bothered me.  I mean, the thing was pretty big, like the size of a hockey puck almost, whereas most other ones we've had are the size of half-dollar coins.  It felt really dense and heavy for a macaron, and similarly, I felt really dense for having waited on line for one single cookie.  I'm sure the people working the counter thought I was a weirdo.




Peppermint Patty
My grumblings about having spent a relatively ridiculous amount of money for a single cookie disappeared after my first bite.  Swoon!  This macaron was different from any other I've had.  It was indeed more dense and chewy than most (not the same type of chewing-gum-chewy as Panya's, not the same cakey texture as Spot Dessert Bar's, but somewhere in between).  It smelled and tasted really pink and pepperminty but wasn't too sweet.  The filling was something like a sweet buttercream, I reckon.

It was sooooooooooo good.

Bouchon Bakery
1 Rockefeller Plaza


Oatmeal Raisin
Chocolate Chip


Comments